Categorías

Destroyer - Kaputt

Posted by Sebastián Asencio | | Posted on 6/30/2011 12:24:00 a. m.


You know an album has been good when you've listened to it too many times. But, just how much is too many? Since the start of the year, on my vacations in January, I found out about the release of this record. And ,sincerely, i didn't think much about it. It didn't even grab my attention. I first listened to the title track, Kaputt, and while it was a solid 80s corny sounding song, and catchy as hell, it didn't invite me to get the album pumping through my head.

So why is it good, right? Well, i don't really know why (maybe because i was bored and read too many reviews saying it was fantastic), but i just got a hang of the album, a good quality release, and started listening to it. And it was hard. The songs were big, full of sounds, full of stream-of-consciousness-lyrics that i could not understand. Progressive. Long tracks. Slow developing. Full of synths. Horns and Saxophones. Cheesy and corniness all over the place. I wasn't able to reach the heart of the songs. I wasn't even able to like them. I was impatient.

I rapidly started thinking of it as a grower. A grower, which means the album doesn't get to your brain attacking like a fucking berserk massively, instead, it acts as a living thing, taking its time to work out a way so that it enters your system and never gets out. It needs time. The album was asking me time so i could understand everything. And when i understood that message between the wall of crisp and sharp sounding instruments and vocals, i was free and ultimately happy.

I have now listened to this album, without joking, more than 40 times. From the first track to the last one. And that special track, "Suicide Demo for Kara Walker", has like 400 plays in my Aimp media player. I got tired, yes. But never bored. I enjoyed so much this album, i loved (and still do) it so much, that I grabbed my guitar and started tabbing the goddamn songs.

All tracks in this album are recommended. Highly so. It is, however, a very special type of music and it can be problematic to some listeners. It isn't universal. But believe me, give it a chance. Maybe two or three.

It won't disappoint in what it tries to do.

Best tracks: Suicide Demo For Kara Walker, Savage Night at The Opera, Blue Eyes, Chinatown, Downtown, Bay of Pigs.

9,5/10

Comments (0)

Publicar un comentario